Saturday, May 29, 2010

The happenings

Here it is, my once-a-month(really 2) post. Drum roll please.....

The spring is birthday season at our house. I can't believe my sweet girl is 5. That's the age when they stop becoming infants and toddlers and are just kids. She's such a great kid, so lucky to have her. Me and Brad discussed when to open presents since he leaves so early in the morning. No worries, the kids were up bright and early ready to rip open the gifts. Here's Madde with her loot.


Madde got a make-up kit for her birthday and everyone got a make-over. Hunter has gotten multiple ones, he's Madde's favorite test subject.



Madde decided this year she wanted a horse cake. Gluten-free cake with dairy-free icing, it's harder than it looks. I forgot to add xanthum gum to the cake and it pretty much crumbled on contact. Oh well, atleast I got a picture. It's a horse, if you can't tell.

Hunter turned3. I still think of him as a baby - I can't believe it - THREE. Grandma was in town so we celebrated his birthday a few days early. I think it was a bit confusing for him, since we kept wishing him "Happy Birthday" even though we had already opened his gifts. He kept telling me his birthday was when Grandma was here. After a while he just let it go and ignored anyone who wished him a "Happy Birthday".

I didn't have time to make another cake. Brad picked this one up at the store. Hunter was just excited to blow out the candles.
Madde decided that this year she wanted a slip-n-slide party. Can we say EASY, so I quickly agreed. We had to wait for the weather to warm up which meant we could include Hunter and make it a joint party - woohoo. We had two wading pools and a double slip-n-slide.



This is Madde starting the slip-n-slide race. The flag she is holding velcros to the bottom and the winner is supposed to grab it. None of the kids could actually slide all the way to the end, so they would use it as a start flag instead.

Madde watched a TV show where they made their own kites. It sounded fun, so I helped them make some kites out of sticks and trash bags. We took them outside to fly them and couldn't get them off the ground. Madde ran back and forth in our back yard for 30 minutes before getting frustrated and giving up. Poor girl, its not her fault, she employed a bad engineer (Me).

Dayton started solids. His hands really like to help hold the food in his mouth. Usually food is all over his feet, pants, hair, and face by the time we are done. He only has solids twice a day. The first time I try to clean him up, the next time I give up and throw him in the bath.Hunter and Madde have discovered the fun of hiding. One afternoon Hunter decided to make a fort so he could hide from Dad when he got home. That his head by the couch. I tried to explain that Dad wouldn't be home for hours, but he didn't seem to care. He came out when he got bored/hungry.
Apparently if you tell a tired 3 year old, "you don't have to take a nap, you just have to have quiet time," this is what you get. In his mind, it's not a nap if you aren't in your bed.
Aren't they so cute playing together? Madde has really taken to swinging and finally figured out how to pump herself. After swinging for a while she usually hops down and helps Hunter swing.

7 comments:

ede said...

what a great and all inclusive update.
excellent!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL AROUND
the water party looks like it was fun

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

Why dairy and gluten free cake?

The Streiffs said...

We've had Madde off of wheat and dairy for 9 or so months. I think she is sensitive and it really affects her moods.

Shelly said...

Can't wait for my makeover in Hawaii!

Shelly said...

Can't wait for my makeover in Hawaii!

jennifer said...

Wonderful update! Happy birthday to Madde and Hunter!!

Anonymous said...

fyi- the cheapo generic store icing is dairy free.
-Lori